Submitted by: Marina Byrne, Kristin Geller and Jessica Rullo
The second-grade classes embarked upon a “Tour of Englewood” after learning about the similarities and differences among three types of communities: urban, suburban and rural. The students enjoyed touring our local suburban community of Englewood, New Jersey.
The tour included the following:
- a drive down Palisades Avenue and into the business district to observe and learn about commercial spaces
- a visit to Englewood Florist to learn about a local small business;
- a stop at Englewood Police Station for a tour;
- a close look at City Hall;
- a drive by Mackay Park to see community recreation space;
- a stop at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center to tour and learn about our community healthcare;
- a drive amongst local streets to observe and learn about residential space
The tour was complete when we drove by our own Head of School’s residence!
Mrs. Byrne, Miss Rullo and Mrs. Geller were the tour guides for this trip and they highlighted the physical characteristics (landforms, buildings, roadways, transportation), the human characteristics (workers, residents, volunteers, government) and the cultural characteristics (history, food, languages, recreation) of Englewood.
The students absolutely loved this trip, and it was a great way for them to see a suburban community in action!